Wednesday, December 1, 2010
More Charges For Father of NY Terrorist In Foiled Subway Bombing Plot
The father of a man who pleaded guilty in a plot to attack the New York City subway system now faces additional charges, authorities said today.
An updated indictment charges Mohammed Wali Zazi with obstruction of justice and other counts.
The father, who lives in a Denver suburb, previously pleaded not guilty in Brooklyn to conspiracy.
The son, Najibullah Zazi, pleaded guilty to terrorism charges.
The operation was “undertaken at the direction and under the control of al Qaeda leadership,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Jeffrey Knox said previously.
Najibullah Zazi, a former Colorado airport shuttle driver who attended high school in Queens, pleaded guilty in February.
He was arrested in September 2009 after he drove cross-country from Denver to New York, where authorities said he abandoned the bombing plan after realizing authorities were watching him.
The attacks were planned to resemble the July 2005 bombings on the London transit system, authorities said.